SOCIOLOGY OF DEVELOPMENT SECTION AWARD RECIPIENTS
I am delighted to congratulate the winners of this year’s section awards. I also want to sincerely thank the members of each award committee listed below for their terrific work.
Sociology of Development Section Book Award
• Co-winner: Ching Kwan Lee, The Specter of Global China: Politics, Labor, and Foreign Investment in Africa
• Co-winner: Erin Beck, How Development Projects Persist: Everyday Negotiations with Guatemalan NGOs
• Book Award Committee: Rina Agarwala (Chair), Fauzia Ahmed, William J. Haller, Diana Mincyte, Enrique Pumar
Sociology of Development Section Faculty Article Award
• Winner: McDonnell, Erin M. 2017. “Patchwork Leviathan: How Pockets of Bureaucratic Governance Flourish within Institutionally Diverse Developing States.” American Sociological Review 82(3): 476-510.
• Honorable Mention: Tuğal, Cihan. 2017. “The Uneven Neoliberalization of Good Works: Islamic Charitable Fields and Their Impact on Diffusion.” American Journal of Sociology 123(2): 426-464.
• Article Award Committee: Poulami Roychowdhury (Chair), Maria Akchurin, Richard Lachmann, Michael Levien
Sociology of Development Section Graduate Student Paper Award
• Winner: Joel S Herrera, UCLA, “Cultivating violence: trade liberalization, labor informality, and the Mexican drug trade”
• Co-Honorable Mention: Alvin A Camba, Johns Hopkins, “The Contentious Politics of Capital: The Political Economy of Chinese Investments in the Philippines
• Co-honorable Mention: Anjuli N. Fahlberg, Northeastern University, “Activism under Fire: Urban Governance and Citizenship in Rio de Janeiro’s Conflict Zones”
• Graduate Student Paper Award Committee: Erin McDonnell (Chair), Yao Li, Laura Raynolds, Liam Swiss
Congratulations to the winners, and thanks to all those who nominated work for consideration.
Department of Sociology
University of Virginia